So you want to turn your home into some kind of ‘cool’ high-tech place where everyone wants to be right? I want to one day do that too!
Today I am going to share with you several ideas that could help you achieve your dream. Be warned: Some of the concepts listed here may require professional skills – so don’t burn your house down trying to go high-tech. While I try to describe what they are, you can always find more details online.
- Letting your house send you an email – You are probably thinking why and when would I want my house to send me an email. There are several circumstances but I will mention just a few for now: consider having a basement and you want to avoid it being flooded or you want to monitor water levels in dehumidifiers or even air conditioners. Using your programming skills, you can achieve this.
- Electric Guard Dog – Those who have dogs will know what I mean here after reading this: someone visits you, hits the doorbell and boom! Your dog starts barking and maybe ready to attack. Now consider a situation where you don’t have a dog but you still want to make people think that you have a dog in your house! This automation will monitor motion in the area you choose and then trigger the electric dog sound. Good luck.
- A Tweeting Bird Feeder – If you love birds, you probably like feeding them. Sometimes though, you might forget to refill the feeder because … well, you are a busy person who runs errands or watches football all day. Here is an idea to solve this problem: build a tweeting bird feeder – and here is how it works: it monitors the feeder and every time the feeder is empty, it sends out a tweet reminding you and all followers that it needs to be refilled! Awesome right? Now go find out more information on how to build it and have fun.
- Package Delivery Detector – This system will send you a notification every time a package is delivered to your door – meaning you will not have to wait till you arrive home to actually see it. This project works closely like the Tweeting bird feeder. You simply receive an email and you can do all sorts of things to take it to the next level: like delaying the notification until you receive the courier confirmation email.
- Web-enabled Light Switch – This automation will enable you to power your lights, television and other stuff using an application installed on your phone. This can enable you to do all the above tasks from anywhere provided you are connected to the internet. It sounds really fun because you can pull pranks on your friends by switching the TV off while watching football – they might get really mad though.
Once again, these are just ideas that you could turn into reality by doing more research. You can also find commercially available solutions to some of them because people are already making them.
Good luck and hope to see you soon. If you liked this post, please consider sharing it with your social networks or dropping me a comment on more ideas that I should add to the above.
Thank you for stopping by. Take care!