Today I want to share the best SEO tips for WordPress. You could say SEO is overrated because there is just way too much noise out there with some making promises that never work. I am not an expert but after several months of learning, I believe what I am doing on my blog is working for me. That is exactly what I want to share with you.
So what is the secret to having your pages rank higher and start kicking the butts of your competitors? There is no shortcut and if someone ever tells you so, he is lying. You can pay thousands of dollars if you want but that will not make you an overnight sensation. That being said, here are the best seo tips for WordPress bloggers:
Best SEO Tips For WordPress
There are endless tips but I won’t be sharing all of them – the web is littered with books and posts on the same. Let us make this simpler:
- keywords – every time you write about a topic, do you know the keywords or phrase you are focusing on? Consider this post you are reading – take a quick look at the title, then the url, then the alt text inside the image included and the subheading. Do you see something? They all contain the important keywords I am targeting. In fact, even the first paragraph contains the keywords or phrase.
- Permalinks – When I first started blogging and wishing I could get readers to stop by, I had no idea that I was doing harm to my rankings by having my permalinks include a day when it was published and name of the post. So how does this affect the rankings on Google? The answer is simple: posts that were published three or four years ago will appear to be of less importance and so they get buried deep while posts that were created recently appear as though they are important. How do you solve this? You want to let the search engines stop ‘judging’ your posts based on when they were created. Go to your Dashboard and under settings, check permalinks and select Post Name under common settings. That should solve that problem.
- Outbound Links – You will read this everywhere. One of the best seo tips for WordPress and every other website is to cut down on outbound links. The reason here is quite obvious – you are sending people away from your site. The main reason why you have a blog in the first place is to have great content that people will love to read. After people stop by to read your blog posts, you want to keep them as long as you can. It is not bad to have a few links leading to related content that users might find useful – try putting them near the end of the posts.
- Quality Content – More often, people get too obsessed with rankings that they forget to produce quality content. Readers should always come first before anything else. Stop copying what has already been published by other people – search engines hate duplicate content. If you can’t write, pay someone to do it or just don’t keep a blog filled with junk. You are probably familiar with the phrase “quality is better than quantity” and that is exactly how it is. If you must write, then give it your best shot. Research, spend quality time doing it. Remember, your visitors are very important. Show them that you deserve their attentions.
- Social Networks – This is no doubt one of the most important aspects of modern SEO. As a matter of fact, I get a lot of traffic from the major social networks – Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Reddit etc. If you have never got a Reddit’s hug of death, you are not using social networks enough. I have got my website crushed several times by traffic before I moved to a better host. So, create quality content, share them on these social networks and you will be better placed compared to someone who doesn’t.
These are just a few best SEO tips for WordPress bloggers and other websites as well. SEO is in itself a big business but you don’t have to spend money to get to a good place on Search Engines. Just spend several hours optimizing your blog or site. Use Google Webmaster Tools to find the monthly searches for your particular keyword and start writing content that people will find useful.
There are several great plugins that you can download and install them for your WordPress blog as well. You don’t just do SEO once and then forget it – you have to do it every time you write something. Really, everyday. It also takes time to rank up there and you must be patient.
Thank you for reading this post and I hope you found it useful. Please share it with your friends using the buttons below – I appreciate your support and I know that getting 62,000 views in a few months was not by luck. Thanks once again for reading my posts. Please subscribe for great updates.